Sunday, July 4, 2010

First Blog

So, i finally decided to get a blog after following several others. I figure it would be a good idea to help me keep track of my own thoughts if nothing else. This summer has been an interesting journey so far. Working for a church has been good but somewhat different from what i was expecting. What was i expecting? I'm not quit sure but it feels different in a way that is hard to describe. I'm interning for a church in Maryville, IL right outside of St. Louis. It's a First Baptist church which has most of the typical first baptist stereotypes. But i find that there is a love for the Lord here and with the family that i'm staying with for the summer. I'm over the high school guys and so i spend most of my time with them. They are a good group of guys but it just reminds me of how much the Lord has grown me and of what i was like in high school. I feel like there is so much work to do. There are so many things that i want to see happen before i leave and i fear that they will not. Several guys who don't know the Lord, others who really don't understand what it means to be a follower of Christ and yet others who need to develope into the leaders that they can and should be. I realize how self-consumed i was and continue to be when seeing how hard it is to get humans to look outside of ourselves and reach out. We are so infatuated with our self-precieved image that it hinders us from the most important thing we could ever be a part of. To reach out and be kind, nice and encouraging is scary for some simply because they do not want to be percieved as wierd or for the simple fact that they don't feel like it. I believe once the leaders begin to look outside of themselves and focus on others that is when the youth group will step up and begin to unify.

I also realize how much i take SBU for granted. There are amazing guys and gals there who love the lord and great fellowship but we need to press and sharpen one another, to pray and bear eachothers burdens so much more than we have been doing. Throughout this past month the Lord has revealed where my heart lies. Working with youth is amazing and a blast but ultimately i know my desire is to teach His Word whether as a Pastor, an Education Pastor or a Prof. is yet to be determined. I have had the chance to read several books so far this summer and am continuing on the giant book list and God is continually revealing how little i truly know and blowing my imagination with his wonderful plan. What's our part in this plan? How do we participate generally and specifically?

No comments:

Post a Comment